Bring something new to your go-to comfort food with this different take on beloved braised greens.
Braised Squash and Collards
Makes about 10 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound chopped, cleaned fresh collard greens
- 3 cups chopped, cleaned fresh mustard greens
- 2 (1-quart) containers vegetable broth
- 4 cups diced delicata squash (about 2 squash)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Garnish: green onions
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add green onion, garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; cook until soft.
- Add collards and mustard greens and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high, add vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until greens are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add squash and cook until just tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat, add vinegar, and stir to combine. Garnish with green onions, if desired.