If you’ve never tasted lady peas, look for some this summer. Their petite size and tender texture make them truly delicious.
Braised Peas with Smoked Sausage
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds shelled field peas with snaps
- ¾ pound shelled lady peas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Garnish: chopped celery leaves, ground black pepper
- In a large deep enamel-coated cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; add sausage, onion, and celery. Cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add peas, broth, 2 cups water, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with celery leaves and pepper, if desired.