Lady peas, also known as lady cream peas, are smaller and sweeter than other field peas. Substitute your favorite field peas or butter beans for equally delicious results.
Braised Lady Peas
Makes about 10 servings.
Write a review
- 12 slices bacon, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 pounds shelled lady peas
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onion to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add cooked bacon, peas, broth, salt, and pepper to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with rice, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/