Featuring Camellia® Brand Lady Cream Peas, this classic Southern side will be a welcome accompaniment to any menu. A touch of tang and crunch on top from pickled onions will hit the spot.
Braised Lady Peas
Makes about 10 servings
- 12 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 pounds shelled lady peas*
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: pickled red onion or shallot
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onions to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add cooked bacon, peas, broth, salt, and pepper to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender, about 30 minutes. Garnish with pickled onion, if desired.
*We used 2 pounds dried Camellia® Brand Lady Cream Peas, soaked overnight and drained.