A hint of curry perfumes this stewed supper with a warm, cozy note of spice.
Braised Chickpeas and Tomatoes
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 pound dried chickpeas*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- Prepared peach chutney and French bread, to serve
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas and water to cover by 3 inches. Let stand for 8 hours. Drain.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in chickpeas. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir curry powder into chickpeas; stir tomatoes into chickpeas. Transfer skillet to oven.
- Bake, uncovered, stirring once, until chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Stir in spinach in batches until wilted. Serve with chutney and French bread. Garnish with pepper, if desired.
*We used Camellia Brand.