These crispy hand pies are bursting with the best flavors of the season.
Blueberry-Peach Hand Pies
Makes About 14
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup chopped fresh peaches
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Extra-Flaky Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
Extra-Flaky Pie Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup whole buttermilk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, peaches, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide Extra-Flaky Pie Dough in half. Roll half of dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut dough into 14 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared pans. Place 1 tablespoon blueberry-peach mixture in center of each round. Repeat rolling and cutting with remaining dough. Brush edges of rounds with egg wash. Place over filled rounds, egg wash side down, pressing to seal edges. Brush tops with remaining egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut a small vent in top of dough to release steam.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
Extra-Flaky Pie Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk, stirring until well combined.
- Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly until dough comes together. Shape dough into a log. Roll dough into a 10×8-inch rectangle. Lightly flour both sides of dough, and fold rectangle in thirds, like a letter. Rotate dough 90 degrees, and fold in half. Lightly flour both sides, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to two days.