This comforting, big-batch supper is perfect for everything from casual entertaining to meal-prepping lunches for the family.
Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage
Makes 10 to 12 Servings
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 (1-pound) bag black-eyed peas*, rinsed and drained
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- In a one-gallon zip-top freezer bag, add sausage, onion, peppers, and garlic. Freeze until ready to use or up to 6 months.
- In a 7-quart slow cooker, add frozen sausage mixture, peas, broth, 2 cups water, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high until peas are tender, 5 to 6 hours. Stir in vinegar and Creole seasoning. Store, refrigerated, for up to 7 days.
*We used Camellia Brand.