With a chocolaty base layer and a creamy coconut topping, this slab pie will please any potluck crowd.
Black Bottom Coconut Cream Pie
Makes about 16 servings
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup ice water
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Chocolate Layer:
- 2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Topping: sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish: shaved chocolate, sweetened flaked coconut
- For dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup ice water and vinegar. Add ice water mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 17x12-inch rectangle. Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Top with a double layer of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges of crust begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until crust is lightly browned, about 15 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For chocolate layer: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate, cream, butter, and corn syrup. Microwave on medium in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth (about 2 minutes total). Let cool slightly. Pour into prepared crust. Refrigerate until firm.
- For filling: In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs and egg yolk in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk half of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in pan. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and extracts, stirring until butter is melted. Stir in coconut. Transfer to a medium bowl. Place bowl in a large bowl of ice. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Spread filling over chocolate layer. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of filling, slightly pulling up one corner of wrap to vent. Refrigerate until chilled and set, about 6 hours.
- For topping: Spread whipped cream onto pie. Garnish with chocolate shavings and coconut, if desired.