For a gently spiced version, add ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom with dry ingredients.
Yields: about 30
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons toasted benne seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line large light-colored rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Gently stir in benne seeds and vanilla just until combined. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.