Upgrade your usual macaroni and cheese recipe with this hearty Beefy Mac and Cheese.
Beefy Mac and Cheese
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups grated smoked Gouda cheese, rind removed
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Gradually add beef broth, stirring constantly, until well incorporated. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, and smoked paprika. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is just tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley, if desired.