This colorful meal is impressive enough for guests but quick enough for a casual night dining at home.
Beef Tips with Blistered Tomatoes and Yellow Rice
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef chuck roast, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package yellow rice, cooked according to package instructions
- Garnish: fresh thyme, ground black pepper
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown and wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add oil to skillet. Working in batches, cook beef, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides and slightly pink in center, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. In same skillet, add wine; cook, stirring frequently, until reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add butter; cook, stirring constantly, until melted. Place cornstarch in a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons reduced wine mixture, whisking to combine. Add to skillet, whisking to combine; add thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with beef and tomatoes over yellow rice. Garnish with thyme and pepper, if desired.