Brushing the pork belly with barbecue sauce while roasting gives it a gorgeously caramelized crust.
BBQ Pork Belly Sliders
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (2-pound) pork belly, cut into 3×¾-inch pieces
- ¼ cup Cola BBQ Sauce (recipe follows)
- Slider buns, Campari tomato slices, butter lettuce leaves, and Cola BBQ Sauce, to serve
- In a large bowl, stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper until sugar is dissolved. Fold in pork belly until fully coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 355°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil; top with a wire rack.
- Remove pork belly from bowl, discarding marinade. Place pork belly in an even layer on prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn, and brush with Cola BBQ Sauce. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 200°, about 30 minutes more. Serve on buns with tomato, lettuce, and Cola BBQ Sauce.
Cola BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a small Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.