Inspired by our love of country baked beans, this main dish casserole is a little sweet, a little spicy, and completely delicious.
GIFT THIS CASSEROLE
Prepare casserole in a freezer-safe dish through step 3; let cool. Wrap tightly in a double layer of foil, and freeze. Stir together cornbread and melted butter; place in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, and freeze separately. To reheat, refrigerate casserole and cornbread mixture until thawed, 1 to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake as directed in steps 4 and 5 until heated through and an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 165°, loosely covering with foil, if necessary.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ pound smoked sausage*, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can baked beans, undrained
- ½ pound cooked pulled pork
- 1 cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce*, plus more to serve
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crumbled cornbread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- pray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to prepared pan.
- Add carrot to Dutch oven; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add onion and garlic; cook until vegetables are softened, 2 to 4 minutes. Add beans, pork, ketchup, brown sugar, chives, hot sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, and garlic powder, stirring to combine. Add bean mixture to pan with sausage, stirring to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornbread and melted butter. Sprinkle cornbread mixture over bean mixture. Bake until topping is lightly golden brown and casserole is bubbly, 12 to 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with additional hot sauce. Garnish with chives, if desired.