This basic dough makes a delicious cookie all by itself, but it can also be used as a base for numerous variations!
Basic Sugar Dough
Yield: approximately 3 1/2 dozen cookies
Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until smooth. Add cream, mixing to combine. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Using assorted 2-inch cookie cutters, cut as many cookies as possible. Reroll dough scraps no more than twice. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/