Craving a banana split, but need a dessert for a crowd? This towering icebox treat is your answered prayer.
Banana Split Icebox Cake
Makes 1 (9-Inch) Cake
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 21 tea biscuit cookies*
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 18 chocolate wafer cookies*
- 4 large bananas, sliced
- Garnish: sliced fresh strawberries, sliced bananas, maraschino cherries, chopped toasted pecans, chocolate sauce
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt, beating until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; add cream, and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread two tablespoons of whipped cream mixture onto a serving plate. Place 1 tea cookie in center of plate; arrange 6 in a circle around it. Spread ½ cup whipped cream over cookies. Arrange ⅓ strawberries in a single layer on top; spread with 1 cup whipped cream mixture.
- Place 1 chocolate cookie in center; arrange 8 in a circle around it. Spread ½ cup whipped cream mixture over cookies. Arrange ½ banana slices in a single layer on top; spread with 1 cup whipped cream mixture.
- Repeat layers with remaining cookies, remaining fruit, and whipped cream mixture as directed in steps 2 and 3. Top with remaining whipped cream mixture. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Garnish with strawberries, banana, cherries, pecans, and chocolate sauce, if desired.
*We used McVitie’s Rich Tea Biscuits and Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers.