This cool & creamy banana pudding cake is the perfect summer dessert!
Banana Pudding Icebox Cake
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix, such as Pillsbury
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 5 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for whole egg recipe. Add mashed banana; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in warm cake.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, place egg yolks. Whisk in half of hot milk mixture. Add egg yolk mixture to remaining milk mixture in saucepan, whisking to combine. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over cake. Lightly cover, and refrigerate until chilled, approximately 4 hours.
- Uncover, top with sliced bananas, and spread with whipped cream. Sprinkle with vanilla wafers and pecans. Serve immediately, or cover, and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/