Time-Saving Tip: Prepare these banana pudding bars on Saturday night and serve as a Sunday dinner dessert.
Banana Pudding Bars
Yield: approximately 1 1⁄2 dozen bars
Write a review
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh banana purée (about 2 or 3 medium bananas)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: mini vanilla wafers
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, gingersnap crumbs, and melted butter. Using a measuring cup, press into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 23⁄4 cups milk, banana purée, 3⁄4 cup sugar, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1⁄4 cup milk and gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, lightly whisk together egg yolks, remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, and flour until smooth. Set aside.
- Add gelatin mixture to milk mixture, whisking to combine. Ladle approximately 1 cup hot milk mixture into yolk mixture, whisking constantly to combine. Pour egg mixture into milk mixture, whisking constantly to combine.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Gently boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Spread onto prepared crust. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream and confectioners’ sugar. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread onto cooled custard. Cut into bars. Garnish with mini vanilla wafers, if desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/