Studded with bananas and tossed in cinnamon sugar, these golden goodies taste like banana bread doughnuts.
Yields: About 15
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, ⅓ cup sugar, 1½ teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to milk mixture, whisking to combine. Fold in chopped banana.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop batter, and carefully pour into hot oil. Fry batter in batches until deep golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Let drain on paper towels for a few seconds to remove excess oil; immediately toss in cinnamon sugar. Let cool on a wire rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature.