A hint of rum gives these banana blondies a rich, caramelized flavor.
Banana Bread Blondies
- 1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark spiced rum
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup lightly mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- Garnish: melted dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugars.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Whisk in rum. Pour butter mixture over sugars, and whisk to combine. Whisk in eggs until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, whisking just until combined. Fold in pecans and mashed banana. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool completely in pan. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into squares. Drizzle with melted dark chocolate, if desired.