Our two breakfast favorites combine in these sweetly spiced bites, packing all the flavor of banana bread in a delicious, flaky biscuit.
Banana Bread Biscuits
Makes About 16
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups cake flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ tablespoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1½ cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, chilled
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- Sorghum syrup, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. (Alternatively, place three-fourths of flour mixture in the work bowl of a food processor; add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Return mixture to large bowl, and stir to combine with remaining flour mixture.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together cold buttermilk, mashed banana, and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and pat to 1-inch thickness. Fold dough into thirds, and roll to ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough without twisting cutter, rerolling scraps once. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. Using a pastry brush, brush with melted butter.
- Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Brush with melted butter; serve warm with sorghum syrup.