Make your side dish veggies shine by stirring them into this irresistible recipe.
Baked Thanksgiving Risotto
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 (32-ounce) container vegetable broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups coarsely chopped roasted root vegetables (such as fennel, parsnips, butternut squash, and sliced garlic)
- 2 cups chopped fresh curly kale
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, olive oil, ground black pepper, chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 4-quart cast-iron Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and celery; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add rice and wine; cook until wine is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, ¼ cup cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in roasted vegetables and kale. Cover and bake until rice is tender and creamy, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and stir in remaining ¼ cup cheese, sage, lemon zest and juice, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Garnish with cheese, lemon zest, olive oil, pepper, and sage, if desired.