Bacon-Sausage Deep Dish Pizza
Makes 1 (12-inch) pizza
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 (3-ounce) links hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pizza Dough (recipe follows)
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in a small bowl.
- Add sausages, onion, and bell peppers to skillet; cook until sausage is browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano, fennel seed, and salt; cook for 10 minutes. Remove sausage mixture from skillet. Wipe skillet clean; brush with reserved 1 tablespoon drippings. Place skillet in oven until very hot, 5 to 6 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Pizza Dough into a 14-inch circle. Carefully transfer dough to hot skillet, letting edges extend over sides of pan. Sprinkle 1 cup provolone over dough. Spoon sausage mixture over provolone. Fold edges of dough over filling. (Dough won’t completely cover filling.) Sprinkle with Cheddar, pepperoni, and remaining 1 cup provolone.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 1 (14-inch) crust
- 1⅓ cups warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a large bowl, stir together 1? cups warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, cornmeal, 3 teaspoons oil, and salt; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup flour, stirring with a spoon until a soft, sticky dough forms and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 6 minutes, using remaining . cup flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to hands.
- Lightly brush inside of a large bowl with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Lightly punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Find more bacon-filled recipes in our special Bacon Everything Issue.