Pardon our pun, but when it comes to our Bacon and Kale Ris-oat-to, we couldn’t resist with this oat-filled version of a creamy risotto.
Bacon and Kale Ris-oat-to
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped and divided
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped lacinato kale
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped fresh collard greens
- ½ cup dry white wine, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped leek
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup oat groats
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Add half of garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add kale and greens; cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add ¼ cup white wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add leek, carrot, and remaining half of garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add oat groats; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add remaining ¼ cup white wine, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until oat groats are tender but still have texture, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in greens mixture, cheese, lemon juice, and red pepper. Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with cheese and red pepper, if desired.