Fill up your cookie jar with these sweet and savory bakes.
Bacon Fat–Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 33
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup bacon drippings, room temperature
- ¾ cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line several large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream bacon drippings and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until well incorporated. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, mixing just until combined. Add chocolate, pecans, and apricots, beating just until combined.
- Using a 2½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Place pans in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around edges, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.