A cast-iron skillet helps these potatoes form a golden crust as they simmer in bacon drippings and fresh thyme.
Bacon Fat Confit Potatoes
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add potatoes, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to skillet; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in bacon before serving. Garnish with thyme, if desired.