Makes 10 to 12
- 2½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- ½ cup cold bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow
- Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup cold whole buttermilk
- ½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in bacon drippings and cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese, buttermilk, and cooked bacon just until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Fold dough in half until it comes together, 3 to 4 times. Pat or roll dough to 1 inch thick. Using a knife dipped in flour, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water; lightly brush over top of biscuits. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.