Leftover cheese dip refrigerates and reheats well, so serve it at a party or use it for nachos later in the week.
Arkansas Cheese Dip Dog
Makes 12 to 16
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 (4-ounce) cans Hatch diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 ounces processed cheese product, cubed
- 8 ounces shredded Colby cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 12 to 16 hot dog franks, cooked according to package directions
- Hot dog buns, tortilla chips, and jalapeño slices, to serve
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add flour and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, chiles, cumin, and chili powder; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Slowly sprinkle in cheese, stirring to incorporate after each addition. Add hot sauce, and stir to combine.
- Place franks in buns, and top with cheese dip. Serve with chips and jalapeño slices. Refrigerate any remaining cheese dip for up to 1 week.