Deliciously dense, this cake-like batter rises to enfold the tender apricots. Canned apricots can be substituted for fresh apricots.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup almond meal
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 fresh apricots, pitted and halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. Add butter to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; place in oven until butter melts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, 2⁄3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk and almond extract. Pour flour mixture over melted butter in skillet. (Do not stir.)
- In a medium bowl, combine apricots, cardamom, and remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar. Arrange apricots, cut side up, on top of batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/