Harvest-fresh apples and tangy buttermilk come together in this quick and easy cake.
Apple Sheet Cake
Yields: 12 servings
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded Gala apple
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 11 (¼-inch-thick) slices Gala apple
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Garnish: apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently stir in shredded apple and walnuts. Arrange sliced apple over top of cake.
- Bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and remaining ¼ teaspoon vanilla. Drizzle over cake. Garnish with apple pie spice, if desired.
Find more great fall dessert recipes in our newest edition of Taste of the South magazine.