The rutabaga’s slightly sweet flavor plays well in a dessert cobbler, pairing nicely with warm spices, sweet apples, and velvety ice cream.
Makes 8 Servings
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups (¼-inch-thick) slices Honeycrisp apples
- 4 cups (¼-inch-thick) halved slices peeled rutabaga
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flaky Pastry Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Sparkling sugar (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
Flaky Pastry Dough
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 11×8-inch or 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugars, flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Add apples, rutabaga, vinegar, and vanilla, tossing until well combined. Transfer apple mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Let Flaky Pastry Dough sit at room temperature until slightly softened, 10 to 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 14×8-inch rectangle about ⅛ inch thick. Cut into 2-inch squares. Shingle squares on top of apple mixture, leaving open spaces to let steam escape. Brush egg wash onto dough, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar (if using).
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Flaky Pastry Dough
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add flour, sugar, and salt; pulse 4 times to combine. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add water; pulse until a dough ball forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Form into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.