This Apple-Ginger Strudel is easy to make, and the leftovers are perfect for breakfast.
Yields: 6 servings
- 3 small Gala apples, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together apples, pecans, granulated sugar, ginger, flour, apple pie spice, and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x12-inch rectangle. Carefully transfer dough to prepared pan. (Smooth or lightly reroll dough on pan, if necessary.)
- Spoon apple mixture lengthwise down center of dough. Cut 1-inch slits in dough down both sides of apple mixture, stopping ½ inch from mixture. Alternately fold dough strips over apple mixture. Brush dough with cream, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until apples are tender and dough is puffed and golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool on pan for at least 30 minutes before serving.