The phrase “easy as apple pie” certainly applies to this simply delicious dessert.
Apple Crumble Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) Pie
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup plus ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons apple pie spice, divided, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 6 cups peeled ¼-inch-sliced Granny Smith apples
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- All-Butter Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- Vanilla ice cream
All-Butter Pie Dough
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup ice water, plus more as needed
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ⅓ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pie spice. Add butter, tossing to coat. Using your fingers, cut in butter until evenly combined. Create clumps by squeezing mixture in your hands, then gently breaking apart. Once desired texture is reached, toss in sliced almonds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place oven rack in bottom third of oven.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, remaining ¾ cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, remaining 1 teaspoon pie spice, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll All-butter Pie Dough to a 13-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim to ½-inch past edge of pie plate, if necessary; discard scraps. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Place apple mixture into prepared crust, making sure there are no large gaps between apple slices. Place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until crust starts to brown, about 15 minutes. Carefully top with streusel. Reduce oven temperature to 375°. Bake until golden brown and filling bubbles, 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream, and garnish with pie spice.
All-Butter Pie Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add cold butter, tossing to coat. Using your fingers, cut in butter, flattening cubes into big shards and tossing butter through flour mixture to coat, just until butter is in nickel-size pieces. Make a well in center. Add ¼ cup ice water. Working in a small section at a time, stir together with a fork until mixture begins to become hydrated. Gently knead dough together. (Don’t over-knead or dough will become tough.) Add additional ice water, about 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is just combined.
- Shape dough into a disk. Wrap disk tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.