Apples and cranberries pack this rustic crostata with fall flavor. Add in a delicious Vanilla-Bourbon Caramel Sauce on top, and you’ve got your next must-make dessert.
Yields: 8 servings
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups sliced Gala apples (about 3 medium apples)
- ¼ cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Vanilla-Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add 4 tablespoons ice water in a slow, steady stream, just until dough comes together. Add remaining 1 tablespoon ice water, if needed. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For filling: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook until apples begin to brown and are slightly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to prepared pan. In a large bowl, stir together apples, cranberries, granulated sugar, flour, zest, cinnamon, and salt. Spoon into center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges of dough over filling. (Dough will not completely cover filling.) Sprinkle cold butter over filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water; brush over edges of dough. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool on pan for at least 1 hour. Drizzle with Vanilla-Bourbon Caramel Sauce.
Vanilla-Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Yields: 2 cups
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, place sugar and ¼ cup water, swirling to combine thoroughly. Cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until mixture is amber colored, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in cream. Stir in bourbon, salt, and vanilla. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Find more fall inspired recipes in our newest issue of Taste of the South magazine.