Whether you start or end your day with one of these sweet treats, you’ll sure be glad that you did.
Apple Cornbread Muffins
- ¼ cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ¼-inch diced apples, unpeeled
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- For streusel: In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, and pecans. Add melted butter, and stir with a fork until combined. Freeze until ready to use.
- For muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Fold cornmeal mixture into applesauce mixture just until combined. Fold in diced apples and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Top with streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.