We used meringue powder to achieve the perfect glaze for these sugar cookies. You can find it at craft stores like Michael’s and Hobby Lobby.
Apple Cider-Glazed Sugar cookies
Yield: approximately 20 cookies
Write a review
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Add egg yolk, beating until combined. Gradually add flour, salt, and extract, beating until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes, and place on prepared pans. Reroll scraps as necessary.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around edges, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely on pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider and meringue powder until foamy. Add confectioners’ sugar, whisking until smooth.
- Spread glaze over cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/