Cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil to make cleanup quick and easy.
Apple Cider-Glazed Roasted Chickens
Yield: 2 whole chickens
Write a review
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 whole chickens (about 3½ to 4 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Pink Lady apple, quartered
- ½ cup chopped leek
- 20 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a wire rack with nonstick cooking spray, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring cider to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to ½ cup, approximately 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse chickens with cold water, and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity of each chicken with 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stuff each chicken with 1 to 2 apple quarters, ¼ cup leek, and 10 sprigs of thyme. Rub each chicken with 2 tablespoons butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen twine; place chickens on rack in prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Bake, basting with reserved cider every 15 minutes, until chickens reach an internal temperature of 165°, 30 to 45 minutes more. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/