Bacon and apples—what’s not to love?
Makes about 15
Write a review
- 2 medium Gala apples, cored
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Cooked crumbled bacon, sweetened whipped cream, apple pie spice, and maple syrup, to serve
- Cut apples crosswise into 15 ¼-inch-thick slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, crumbled bacon, sugar, and apple pie spice. Make a well in center of mixture. In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- In a large cast-iron griddle or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by ¼ cupfuls 1 inch apart over hot oil. Gently place 1 apple slice in center of batter. Cook until edges are dry and bubbles form in center of pancakes, about 3 minutes; turn, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes more. Use remaining oil as needed. Serve pancakes with bacon, whipped cream, apple pie spice, and syrup.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/