Light and fluffy, buttery and berry-flavored, these beignets are truly a treat.
Angel Biscuit Beignets
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm whole buttermilk (120° to 130°)
- In a medium Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add strawberries. Pulse until finely ground. In a medium bowl, whisk together ground strawberries and confectioners’ sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 cups flour and ¼ cup granulated sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly; refrigerate.
- In another large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, yeast, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and remaining 2 cups flour. Stir in warm buttermilk until combined. Let mixture stand until cool, about 15 minutes. Stir in refrigerated flour mixture until a dough forms. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to ³⁄₁₆-inch thickness. Cut into 18 (3-inch) squares. Fry until golden brown, turning once, about 1 minute per side. Dust with strawberry-sugar mixture. Serve warm.