Creamy coconut and fresh orange permeate these decadent rolls from filling to glaze.
Ambrosia Sweet Rolls
- 3½ to 3⅔ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tablespoons packed orange zest (about 2 large oranges)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Sweet Roll Glaze (recipe follows)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1½ cups flour, ¼ cup sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and ⅓ cup butter over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 120° to 130°. Add warm milk mixture to flour mixture, and beat at medium speed until combined. Add egg, and beat at medium speed until combined. With mixer on low speed, gradually add 2 cups flour, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low speed until a soft, somewhat sticky dough forms, 12 to 14 minutes, stopping to scrape dough hook and sides of bowl, as needed. If dough is too sticky, add up to remaining 2½ tablespoons flour, adding ½ tablespoon at a time.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a smooth ball. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together zest and remaining ¾ cup sugar.
- Lightly punch down dough. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Using a small offset spatula, spread remaining ⅓ cup butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle with zest mixture and coconut. Starting on opposite long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style; pinch seam to seal. Using a serrated knife dipped in flour, cut log into 12 slices (about 1½ inches thick). Place slices, cut side down, in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until lightly golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°, 35 to 40 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Spread Sweet Roll Glaze onto rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sweet Roll Glaze
Yields: About ½ Cup
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.