Did you know? This cake recipe originally ran in our 2006 issue! Fresh fruits and coconut make this Ambrosia Cake the ultimate springtime treat.
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- Orange–Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- Garnish: canned mandarin oranges, fresh pineapple chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, pineapple with juice, oil, and ¼ cup water with a mixer at low speed just until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To assemble cake, spread 1 cup Orange–Cream Cheese Frosting on 1 cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer and spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle evenly with coconut. Garnish with oranges and pineapple, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Orange–Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 3½ cups
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons orange zest
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and orange zest with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until well combined. Use immediately.