Your favorite fruit jam or preserves can be used to top this cake.
Almond Snack Cake
Makes 1 (13×9-inch) cake
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup fruit jam or preserves*
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add melted butter, sour cream, milk, eggs, and extracts. Whisk together just until combined. (Batter may have a few lumps.) Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing to edges and corners. Drop jam by teaspoonfuls over batter; gently swirl using the tip of a knife. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 28 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
*We used Stonewall Kitchen Fig & Ginger Jam.