This version of pimiento cheese was featured back in our April/May issue of 2011 as a family favorite, courtesy of Alex Robertson from Birmingham, AL. It includes olives, jalapeño peppers, and four kinds of cheese, so it packs quite a wallop.
Alex's Pimiento Cheese
Write a review
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces applewood-smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 11⁄2 cups mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s
- 5 ounces sliced green olives, drained
- 4 ounces diced pimientos, drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Assorted crackers (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, tossing gently by hand.
- Add mayonnaise, olives, pimientos, jalapeños, and red pepper.
- Fold until mayonnaise is evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with crackers, if desired.
- The key to a great batch of pimiento cheese is to shred the cheese yourself. Preshredded cheese contains additives to prevent it from clumping together; these can affect the taste.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/