These banana-packed buttermilk pancakes are a great way to use up ripe bananas. For even more flavor, sprinkle fresh or frozen blueberries over the pancake batter while it cooks.
Makes about 15
Write a review
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Sliced bananas and maple syrup, to serve
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and cinnamon. Make a well in center of mixture. In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold in banana.
- In a large cast-iron griddle or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by 1⁄3 cupfuls 1 inch apart over hot oil. Cook until edges are dry and bubbles form in center of pancakes, about 3 minutes; turn, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes more. Use remaining oil as needed. Serve with bananas and syrup.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/