A cast-iron Dutch oven is great for frying these Strawberry Doughnuts; the heavy walls help maintain an even cooking temperature.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm whole milk (105° to 110°)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (1-ounce) package freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Strawberry Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- In a large bowl, stir together warm milk, yeast, and 2 teaspoons sugar. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter, vanilla, salt, eggs, and remaining 2⁄3 cup sugar. Gradually add 3 cups flour, beating with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Stir in strawberries and enough flour until mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl (about 21⁄2 cups).
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, using enough remaining flour (about 2 teaspoons at a time) to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1⁄2 inch thick. Using a 3-inch doughnut cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Reserve doughnut holes. Place dough on lightly floured baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Fill a large cast-iron Dutch oven halfway full with oil, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Gently remove doughnuts from baking sheets; fry in batches until golden brown, about 11⁄2 minutes per side. Fry doughnut holes until golden brown, about 1 minute. Let drain on several layers of paper towels. Let cool to room temperature.
- Dip doughnuts in Strawberry Glaze; let stand for 5 minutes. Dip in glaze again. Garnish with crushed strawberries, if desired. Let stand on a wire rack until glaze is set.
- 10 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat milk, butter, and strawberry extract on high until butter is melted, about 30 seconds. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, whisking until smooth.
Find more great recipes like this one in Southern Cast Iron’s Spring 2017 issue!