Try this ultimate comfort-food casserole drizzled with your favorite barbecue sauce.
Smoked Cheddar Mac and Cheese with Pulled Pork
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) package elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups pulled pork, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Place an oven rack on the second shelf from top of oven. Preheat oven to broil. Spray a 13x9-inch broiler-safe baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2¾ cups milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and remaining ¼ cup milk until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture to hot milk, whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add 1½ cups Cheddar cheese, American cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheeses are melted. Remove from heat.
- Place cooked macaroni and 3 cups pork in prepared pan. Pour cheese sauce over pasta mixture. Top with remaining 1 cup pork and remaining ½ cup Cheddar. Broil until cheese is melted and pasta mixture is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with green onion.