Sweet and spicy, this fuss-free Boston butt is an instant crowd pleaser.
Slow-Cooker Cola-Barbecue Pork
Author: Gerry Finley, Slidell, Louisiana
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 1 cup cola, such as Coca-Cola
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 (5 1⁄2-pound) bone-in Boston butt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Barbecue sauce, to serve
- In a medium bowl, stir together cola and ketchup; pour into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir together salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and red pepper. Rub pork with oil. Rub spice mixture on pork, coating all sides. Place in slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Remove bones and fat; discard. Shred meat, and return to slow cooker. Pour reserved cooking liquid over shredded pork. Serve with barbecue sauce and your favorite side dishes, if desired.
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s May/June 2017 issue!