Smoked Gouda and Cheddar add creaminess to this full-flavored Shrimp and Grits Casserole.
Shrimp and Grits Casserole
Write a review
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain yellow quick grits
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For grits: In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon.
- Add bell peppers and onion to skillet; cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, milk, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until grits are thickened and tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Place eggs in a medium bowl, whisk ½ cup hot grits into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining grits mixture. Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Bake until grits are set, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover and set aside. Increase oven to 400°.
- For shrimp: On a small rimmed baking sheet, drizzle oil. Place in oven until very hot, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Place shrimp on hot baking sheet.
- Bake until shrimp are pink and firm, about 8 minutes, turning once. Spoon over grits. Sprinkle with green onion and crumbled bacon.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s January/February 2017 issue!