Need some fall comfort? This recipe for Potato-Apple Skillet Fries offers a surprisingly healthy dish that brings warm and cozy feelings bite after bite.
Potato-Apple Skillet Fries
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups chopped russet potatoes
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1½ cups cored and chopped Granny Smith apple (about 1½ apples)
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Add potatoes, and cook for 2 minutes. Add cider; cover skillet, and cook until potatoes are tender, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove lid; stir in apple, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until potatoes are crispy and apples are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Top these Potato-Apple Skillet Fries with a fried egg and serve for breakfast.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/