These red velvet cookies are infused with peppermint extract and topped with crushed peppermints so that you’re two favorite holiday flavors are now one!
Peppermint Red Velvet Cookies
Yield: approximately 28 cookies
Write a review
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 cup crushed soft peppermints
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1⁄2 cup butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg; beat well. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and cocoa powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until blended, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add food coloring, vinegar, and extracts; beat until combined. Using a 1 tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, place dough 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until almost firm, approximately 10 minutes. Let stand on pans 3 minutes. Using a spatula, place cookies on a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 1⁄4 cup butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Spread cream cheese mixture over cookies; sprinkle with peppermint. Store unfrosted cookies in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/