The special Secret Sauce makes these patty melts even more delicious.
Patty Melts with Secret Sauce
Write a review
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- ½ cup Secret Sauce
- 3 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Shape ground beef into 6 oval patties.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook patties over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat. Remove patties from skillet; wipe out skillet.
- Layer 1 bread slice with 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce, 2 to 3 tablespoons caramelized onions, 1 slice cheese, 1 patty, and another 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce. Top with another bread slice. Repeat with remaining bread, Secret Sauce, caramelized onions, cheese, and patties.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet. Working in batches, cook sandwiches, flipping once, until golden brown and heated through, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add remaining butter to skillet as needed.
Taste of the South http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/